Check out this website for Young Adult Literature!

Check out The Pennsylvania Dept. of Ed's cool YA website: http://palibraries.libguides.com/content.php?pid=261432&sid=2159888

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Perfect Chemistry


By Simone Elkeles

Reviewed by Elizabeth F., BCCHS student

Perfect Chemistry is an interesting, entertaining love story. There are two main characters, Brittany and Alex. Brittany is a girl that has a reputation to keep at school. She lives a perfect life in the eyes of everyone, when in reality her life is pretty tough. Brittany has a sister named Shelley who is disabled, so her parents expect Brittany to be the “perfect one.” On the other hand, Alex is a gang member that has the worst reputation at school. He is in the gang called Latino Bloods, and the kids at school don’t really mess with him.

Brittany and Alex have a little misunderstanding on the morning of the first day of school. Alex drives a motorcycle and parks it in the school lot, but Brittany has a car, and she doesn’t see Alex’s bike parked so when she tries to park, she almost runs over his bike. That causes a misunderstanding, which makes Alex and Brittany hate each other. Things get interesting when Alex makes a bet with his friends and then tries to talk to Brittany more. 

One quote that really touched me was when Alex says, “I don’t belong here. It doesn’t matter, because even if I don’t belong in this place, she’s here and I want to be where she is.” That shows how much he really loves Brittany. It was so cute and romantic for him to think like that. I wish a guy would say something so caring like that to me.

The character I feel a connection with is Brittany. She has to keep an image, so that she isn’t judged, and sometimes I feel like I have to keep an image too. It’s not only with my friends, but with my family as well. I have three older brothers, and I am the only girl, so in my family I have to be the “perfect one” kind of like Brittany.

I think it is a really good book, and I enjoyed reading it. I would definitely rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It kept me in the mood of wanting to know what would happen next, and I couldn’t put it down. I think all high school students would enjoy this book. Those who like love stories will really enjoy this book because it is a funny entertaining love story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment